Thursday, January 8, 2009

Finding Winter Wood

As I looked out over the Arboretum last week, the sun reflected from the landscape as though it was completely covered in a sheet of milky glass. It was like a scene from a weird fairy tail. This weeks warmer weather has melted most of this porcelain snow, but again snow, or maybe ice is in the forecast for tonight.


For those of you willing to brave another winter walk, I will be going out to look for a good stick – well, I mean I want to look at the color of bark, examine some inner bark, look at growth rings and hopefully find a nice walking stick. Really, you can learn a lot about trees by just looking for a stick.


To find the perfect stick I will have a little pruning saw in my pocket and we will only saw branches from the wild wood that grows along the creek. Andy, however, is starting to prune the trees that grow in the Arboretum. Pruning is an essential part of keeping trees in good health and form. Weather permitting we may find him busy making his own sticks!

1 comment:

Rex said...

We will be there in the morning unless the bad weather comes early!

Jami and Colin Phillips