It was a beautiful day with a clear sky and mild temperature. A good day to chase the flitting, darting, elusive butterflies and dragonflies. August is a peak time to see many different kinds of butterflies - and we saw a bunch! We also found a few caterpillars, bumblebees, toads, a frog and an awesome spider.
Check out this website about Iowa dragonflies and damselflies


2 comments:
After our last nature club meeting, the children and I were looking for milkweed plants on our walks down our gravel road-and sure enough we found several little eggs (just like the little white ones that Kay showed us-on teh leaves) and also several caterpillars. So we decided to take one of the larger caterpillars home, along with some milkweed leaves and place it in a jar. And today we noticed that it was hanging upside down in the J form, and sure enough it turned into the cacoon today. I had checked on it several times this morning, so I wouldn't miss anything, and then this afternoon I was busy, and sure enough at supper tonight we noticed it. It was so awesome. So we will watch it very closely now and keep you informed. God Bless~Danene and the Stewart Children
I enjoyed catching butterflies. It was harder than I thought it would be because I am used to catching butterflies. My favorite butterfly was the Black and Yellow Swallowtails.
Walking in the stream was really fun. I like the coolness and feel of the water - how it kind of hugs around your ankles.
We also got to see a dove nest. There was a newly hatched baby in the nest and an egg. The baby bird wasn't really cute, but it wasn't really ugly either. He was pretty tired - just kind of laying there drying off and waiting for his brother (or sister) to hatch out.
Colin
Post a Comment