For Nature Club this month, Ms. Kay showed us the prairie burn area. She told us that the mice would scamper to the place that wasn’t burning or into their holes to escape from the fire. We saw a lot of those holes that you can’t usually see when the grass is growing. When a prairie goes for a long time without burning, it can allow things to grow that would block out the prairie but when you burn you get rid of those plants and then the other shoots grow up right where they were. I have a funny story about Redwing Blackbirds. Philip, Parker and I were exploring as we always do. We saw a bunch of Redwing Blackbirds. We started doing the army crawl up to them when we startled them! I wanted to get a picture of one, and when I went up to get it, I looked down to see Philip and Parker about six feet from one! I ran down
towards them and got about 12 feet from the bird. I startled it even though I crouched, but what a once in a life time experience that was.
Caddis Fly Larvae
This looks like a berry. But
can you guess what it is? It is a wasp’s nest. See the hole?
That is were the little wasp crawled out. Ms. Kay showed us these on an oak tree. There were lots of them, but the tree didn’t mind! It is a gall that the tree grew around the wasp eggs. Personally I think God designed it like that! The tree is happy, the wasp is happy, I’m happy!


No comments:
Post a Comment