When you find seeds, look at them closely and ask yourself; where do these seeds go? How far do they travel? Some seeds fly far away on the wind, others stick to your socks or the hair of some animal. What are some other ways that can move seeds from one place to another? We will try to answer that question this Friday on our nature walk.
Plants with seeds are the most abundant and familiar component of Earth's vegetation and comprise an estimated 250 000-300 000 species. They outnumber all other plant groups, dominate the land, thrive in bodies of fresh water and are even found to a limited extent in the oceans.
Today, at every meal, make a list of all the foods you eat that are, or made up of seeds. Oatmeal, white flour and black pepper are all made from the seeds of plants. What else? You may be surprised at how valuable seeds are to your everyday life!
I hope I will see you on Friday!
Monday, October 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I really enjoyed reading this post! I learned a lot and can't wait for the next Nature Club about "Finding Seeds of Spring."
~Elizabeth
Post a Comment